BEWARE! This article is filled with bits of useless knowledge...read on with caution.|
1) Rene Descartes came up with the theory of coordinate geometry by looking at a fly walk across a tiled ceiling.
2) Winston Churchill was born in a ladies' room during a dance.
3) Clans of long ago that wanted to get rid of their unwanted people without killing them used to burn their houses down - hence the expression "to get fired".
4) Canada is an Indian word meaning "Big Village".
5) "I am." is the shortest complete sentence in the English language.
6) The original story from Tales of Arabian Nights begins "Aladdin was a little Chinese boy".
7) Captain Jean-Luc Picard's fish was named "Livingston".
8) The word "samba" means to rub navels together.
9) The international telephone dialing code for Antarctica is 672.
10) Mel Blanc (the voice of Bugs Bunny) was allergic to carrots.
11) Donald Duck's middle name is Fauntleroy.
12) Dr. Seuss pronounced "Seuss" such that it rhymed with "rejoice".
13) In Casablanca, Humphrey Bogart never said "Play it again, Sam." Sherlock Holmes never said "Elementary, my dear Watson." Captain Kirk never said "Beam me up, Scotty", but he did say, "Beam me up, Mr. Scott."|
14) More people are killed annually by donkeys than die in air crashes.
15) If you are locked in a completely sealed room, you will die of carbon dioxide poisoning before you will die of oxygen deprivation.
16) A "jiffy" is an actual unit of time for 1/100th of a second.
17) The average person falls asleep in seven minutes.
18) Our eyes are always the same size from birth, but our nose and ears never stop growing.
19) David Prowse was the guy in the Darth Vadar suit in Star Wars. He spoke all of Vadar's lines, and didn't know that he was going to be dubbed over by James Earl Jones until he saw the screening of the movie.
20) Most Americans' car horns beep in the key of "F".
21) Camel's milk doesn't curdle.
22) "Mr. Mojo Risin" is an anagram for Jim Morrison.
23) Many hamsters only blink one eye at a time.
24) In every episode of Seinfeld, there is a Superman somewhere.
25) February 1865 is the only month in recorded history not to have a full moon.|
26) Giraffes have no vocal chords.
27) No word in the English language rhymes with month or orange.
28) Isaac Asimov is the only author to have a book in every Dewey-decimal category.
29) Cat's urine glows under a black light.
30) The first Ford cars had Dodge engines.
31) The little bags of netting for gas lanterns (called "mantles") are radioactive‹so much so that they will set off an alarm at a nuclear reactor.
32) Cinderella's slippers were originally made out of fur. The story was changed in the 1600s by a translator. It was the left shoe that Aschenputtel (Cinderella) lost on the stairway when the prince tried to follow her.
33) The characters Bert and Ernie on Sesame Street were named after Bert the cop and Ernie the taxi driver in Frank Capra's It's a Wonderful Life.
34) The "huddle" in football was formed due to a deaf football player who used sign language to communicate and his team didn't want the opposition to see the signals he used and in turn huddled around him.
35) There are only thirteen blimps in the world. Nine of the thirteen blimps are in the United States.